Journey Church

Journey Church

Thursday, August 22, 2013

An excerpt from The Cross of Christ by John Stott
The Pain of God
Abraham Heschel “the most exalted idea applied to God is not infinite wisdom, or infinite power, but infinite concern.”

Thus, before the flood Yahweh was “grieved” that he had made human beings, “and his heart was filled with pain,” and when his people were oppressed by foreigners during the time of the judges, Yahweh “could bear Israel’s misery no longer.  Most striking of all are the occasions when through the prophets God expresses his “yearning” and “compassion” for his people and addresses Israel directly:  “I have loved you with an everlasting love…Can a mother forget the baby at her breast…?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!...How can I give you up, Ephraim?  How can I hand you over, Israel?...My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused.” 322

No comments:

Post a Comment